In the Kitchen: Fernando’s Italian Pork Ragú Lasagne Recipe
To celebrate the flavours of homestyle cooking, Fernando Rengifo – the chef at 101 Collins Street – has shared his famous recipe for Italian Pork Ragú Lasagne. This dish is a firm favourite amongst the children and Educators at 101 Collins Street!
“This recipe is ideal for every occasion and is really easy to make so you can get a perfect result even in the first attempt. I hope you enjoy it as much as me and my family do,” says Fernando.
Fernando’s Italian Pork Ragú Lasagne
- 3 pack lasagne sheets
- 1kg diced pork
- 350g onions
- 150g celery
- 150g zucchini, finely diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 100g carrots
- 2L Italian tomato sauce with basil
- Olive oil
- 250g mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 250g parmesan cheese
- 100g Nuttelex
- 1L Milk
- 250g Flour
- In a small pot, bring to heat 750ml of milk, one teaspoon of mixed herbs and Nuttelex.
- In a bowl, mix the rest of the milk with the flour.
- Once the milk is hot (not boiling) add slowly the mixture of cold milk and flour, stirring continuously until it becomes dense and take off the heat.
- Add the parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly, put aside.
Pork Ragu Sauce:
- Heat up a large pot with olive oil. Cook the onions, garlic, celery and carrots until lightly golden, then add zucchini to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the pork and cook until brown. Once the pork is cooked through, add the Italian tomato sauce and heat up for about 15 minutes.
- Once the sauce is ready, mix it together with the Bechamel sauce.
- Spread Nuttelex over a deep tray, covering completely.
- Add some of the sauce just to coat the bottom of the tray.
- Add one layer of lasagne pasta, followed by a layer of the creamy Pork Ragu sauce. Coat with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Follow Step 10 two to three times (depending on tray depth), making sure the last layer has mozzarella on top
- Place the oven at 180 ̊C for about 30 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is melted and golden.
Chef’s Tip: Make sure the lasagne tray is not close to the top heating elements inside the oven – place it on the lowest shelf so it cooks evenly.
Looking for the right Childcare Centre for your Family?
Submit your details and a member of our Concierge Team will be in touch to discuss what you need and how we can help you experience something more than childcare.
We'll be in touch soon.