How to Make Hand Sanitiser at Home
While regular hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds is still the top recommendation for killing viruses on your hands, we recognise that there will be situations throughout the day when hand sanitiser is required.
If you’ve been having trouble locating hand sanitiser at your local grocery store or chemist, the following recipe will produce the same results as a purchased solution, and can be made in larger quantities to accomodate for the whole family.
DIY Hand Sanitiser Recipe
Makes: 250mL hand sanitiser (1 cup)
- 2/3 cup rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol 91%)
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
- Essential oil (optional)
- Small plastic bottles (this Travel Set from Kmart works well)
- Measure the rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel then combine in a plastic container or bowl.
- Add 8-10 drops of the chosen essential oil to the mixture, then stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into your chosen container and secure the lid.
- The ingredients listed are able to be purchased from most chemists, supermarkets or health food stores, either in store or online.
Watch this video for a live demonstration of the recipe.
For further information on COVID-19, here are Guardian’s FAQs.
Looking for the right Childcare Centre for your Family?
Submit your details and a member of our Concierge Team will be in touch to discuss what you need and how we can help you experience something more than childcare.
We'll be in touch soon.