NAIDOC Week, 3-10 July 2022
Find your Centre to Enrol
Or use your current location
National NAIDOC Week runs from 3 – 10 July 2022. it is an annual week-long celebration of the traditional land-owners (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples) and an acknowledgement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, culture and achievements.
Celebrating NAIDOC week is a great opportunity to embed cultural competence within our Centres.
We bring this to life in our Guardian Centres in a variety of ways including:
- Research and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander role models
- Listen to Indigenous music within the Centre – teaching the songs to children
- Research Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts and invite local artists to visit
- Work with an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artist to produce an artwork for the Centre
- Visit local sites of cultural significance e.g. go on a Bush Tucker walk
- Learn the meanings of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander place names and words and include these within the Centre
There is a number of great questions we, and families, can ask children to guide their thinking and learning this week:
- What does ‘being Australian” mean?
- How do people look after the land?
- What is special about our land? How does being nature make you feel?
- How can we celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture at home?
There are some great resources and information here: www.naidoc.org.au.
Looking for the right Childcare Centre for your Family?
Submit your details and a member of our Concierge Team will be in touch to discuss what you need and how we can help you experience something more than childcare.
We'll be in touch soon.