Shh..Surprise (Veggie) Nuggets
A healthy, chef created veggie nuggets recipe from our kitchen to yours
These are healthy, child friendly and simple to make. Perfect for dinner or a snack, or to pop in a lunch box.
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (white or
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200 Celsius.
- Lightly steam the broccoli and grated carrots (this can even be done in the microwave – I recommend about 3 minutes, just until the broccoli is slightly tender but not mushy). Cool slightly.
- Chop the broccoli very finely — you could probably even pulse it in a food processor to do this.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables, garlic, eggs, breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, until all the ingredients are combined, and the mixture holds together when you squeeze it into a ball.
- Grease a baking tray with cooking spray. In a shallow bowl, toss together the breadcrumbs and olive oil for coating. Form the broccoli mixture into walnut-sized balls and then pat into “nugget” shapes. Set the nuggets into the coating mixture, turning gently and patting until they’re lightly coated with breadcrumbs. Place on the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake the nuggets for 12-15 minutes, until pale golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
Note: If cooling and freezing use food safe cooling Practices (2hr/4hr Cooling Rule).picture_as_pdf View Resource
From Ian, Chef at Guardian Coromandel Valley