13th September 2019
In Conversation with Kerryn Centre Manager of Clayfield
Kerryn is the Centre Manager for Clayfield, a light-filled centre which features freshly renovated outdoor spaces, native gardens, a water pump, and a creek bed. Kerryn took a few minutes out of her busy day to share insights on her career background, her education approach and a few fun facts.
Tell us about your time working in early childcare and education so far and what inspires you each day?
I’ve been in the childcare industry for about 17 years now. I originally got into it because I had a love of working with children and being a positive influence and role model. I love watching them grow and become our future. I’ve been a Centre Manager for 12 years, having started as a trainee and worked my way up. Starting on the floor and working through each level has given me a better understanding of what’s expected of staff on the floor, and allows me to really support my team at Clayfield productively.
What have you learnt about children during your early childcare and education career and how would you sum up your approach/passion to helping them on their learning, emotional, social and life journey?
Throughout my career, I’ve learnt that we can learn as much from children as much as we can teach. I look at every individual child’s journey at Clayfield as a celebration. Each child learns differently, which means the environments and how we’re engaging with them needs to be individually tailored as well. We need to make sure we know their learning preferences and are giving them the best opportunities moving forward.
What are you most excited about working with children on/teaching children about and why?
It’s a very exciting time in our industry at the moment, as there’s a lot of movement around moving forward, and a focus on giving children the skills for life – not just the ABCs. We’re taking the time to see what children know and build on their interests and skills, which will ultimately guide them to working in industries that may not even exist yet! It’s exciting knowing that we’re teaching them these life skills, specifically so that they can be the best versions of themselves and strive for their dreams.
5 quick fun facts about Kerryn
- Family is a big part of my life. I have a big family, and am one of four siblings, and we’re all very close.
- I love being outdoors, camping and getting my hands dirty.
- I enjoy being creative and building stuff, and would rather give something a go myself rather instantly giving it to someone else to do.
- I’ve travelled all across Australia, driving through the Nullarbor and along the Great Ocean Road. I’d rather jump in a car and explore my own backyard than always travelling overseas.
- My favourite food is anything Italian, and my favourite dessert is chocolate mousse.