Culinary Corner: Potato Bake
31st May 2017
Mmm… Potato bake! A warming winter treat that’s a perfect side dish or delicious bring-a-dish option for your next BBQ. This recipe was inspired by Wallaby Street’s Miss Melissa’s recipe and is easy to make… Plus your children can join in on the preparation too. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- 1.2kg potatoes (we use Sebago), peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a large overproof dish
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat (make sure it’s not too hot otherwise the butter will burn!). Add flour. Cook, stirring constantly for two minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add milk until combined. Return to heat, stirring until sauce comes to the boil.
- Add most of the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spread a layer of potatoes over the base of the dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon one-third of the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Repeat until you’ve run out of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for one hour or until potatoes are soft and top is golden.
If the top begins to brown before it’s fully cooked, cover with foil.
Make this dish straight into foil trays to take along to your next BBQ, then reheat before serving.
Looking for more recipes to make with children? Head here.