National NAIDOC Week, 4-11 July 2021
5th July 2021
Teaching children about our heritage and all cultures is an important part of the Guardian Cultural Program.
This week is National NAIDOC Week. NAIDOC (National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee) Week is a celebration of the traditional landowners (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples) and a significant calendar event which acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, culture and achievements. Celebrating NAIDCO week is a wonderful way of acknowledging the traditional land-owners and a great way to embed cultural competence within our Guardian Centres.
We bring this to life in our Guardian Centres in a variety of ways including:
- Encourage the teams to display the National NAIDOC Poster and other Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander posters and artefacts around the centre
- Research and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander role models
- Listen to and play Indigenous music within the centre-teach songs to children
- Research Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts and invite local artists to visit
- Work with an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artist to produce an artwork for the centre
- Visit local sites of cultural significance e.g. go on a Bush Tucker walk
- Learn the meanings of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander place names and words and include these within the centre
There is a number of great questions we, and families, can ask children to guide their thinking and learning this week
- What does ‘being Australian” mean?
- How do people look after the land?
- What is special about our land? How does being nature make you feel?
- How can we celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture at home?
There are some great resources you can use at www.naidoc.org.au.
Looking for the right Childcare Centre for your Family?
Submit your details and a member of our Concierge Team will be in touch to discuss what you need and how we can help you experience something more than childcare.
We'll be in touch soon.